Saturday, April 21, 2007

FAQ and About

No one's really ever asked me a question on this blog, so this is a made up FAQ. If anyone ever gets curious, I'll revise it.

Who the heck are you?My name is Jennie and I'm a branch manager at a public library in the DC metro area, but I started this blog back when I was working in cataloging for a research database. Before moving in branch management and adult services, I was a youth services librarian for 7 years. I've always been a reader. I have a degree from Grinnell College in History with an interdisciplinary concentration in Chinese Studies. My MLIS is from the University of Maryland, majoring in Archives/Record Management. I'm married to someone with an obscene number of master's degrees and a holy tolerance for the stack of books in our house. I like to read and travel and read while traveling.

I have served on the MG/YA Nonfiction Cybils judging panel in 2007 and 2008. I was on the nominating panel in 2009 and 2011.

I was on the 2009 Maryland Blue Crab Award Committee, which awards fiction and nonfiction books written at the early and transitional reading levels.

I was the 2013 YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction committee.

I chaired the 2014 YALSA Outstanding Books for the College Bound committee.

Why should I care about your reviews? or Why do you review?Because I have awesome taste. Ok, you don't have to care. I review books because amongst the people who actually know me in the real world, I have a reputation for being a crazy reader. I read a lot in a wide variety of books. People started asking me for book recommendations. I started to blog about books to see if I could start or participate in a wider conversation. I post my opinions on books out there for you to take or leave.

I review because it's fun and I have a lot to say and I could talk all day about what I've read lately. If I put my thoughts here, it saves the people around me from having to listen to it all. This is not a place for professional-type reviews. When I write a professional-type review (or a professional review) I will link it here.

Also, see why I blog.

What's your policy on reviewing free books and Advanced Reader's Copies?In general, if I read it, I review it. Not necessarily right away, but eventually. There are a few exemptions. Please see my Review Policy.

What gets reviewed?
See my Review Policy.

What's with the Amazon links?
I am an Amazon associate, which means if you click on one of the Amazon links on my page and buy something (Even if it's not what you clicked on) then I get a percentage of the sale (how big of a percentage depends on how many items were purchased in a month.)

I do this because I like to buy books and I can't always buy books, because the mortgage also demands paying, and my belly frequently demands food. So, if I can make a little money off this blog (and trust me, I'm not making much) that means I can buy more books. Which I will then read, and review, all for your pleasure.

Have you ever read a book you didn't like?
This is a real question from one of my coworkers at booktalk training where I kept saying, "oooo! I love that book!" I do like most of what I read, but not everything. There are negative reviews here.

Why review books you didn't like?
To tell people not to waste their time, to offer a different opinion if everyone else in the universe loved it. Because I want to review everything I read, and I don't like everything.

Why read books you don't like?
Sometimes, I have to for work. Sometimes, they're like car crashes and I can't turn away from the ickyness.

How can I contact you?You can email me at kidsilkhaze at yahoo dot com. This is also the email address you can usually find me in other places like LibraryThing.

last updated 5/30/2014

7 Comments:

Blogger maggie moran said...

Jennie, I see from the FAQ you are quite a reader. So, I'm pretty sure I offended you with my Make Mine Pulitzer post.

I'm a little unsure why since you obviously keep reading and don't stop with the professional magazines and favorite genre books.

I also don't remember taking any pot-shots at non-librarians since I enjoyed that title for 9 years prior to my MLIS in 2005.

So, I'll just say the state of Maryland supports their own and we in Mississippi need to do more work in that area. Thanks for stopping by and posting. I'll leave before this feels like a blog-stalk. ;D

8:01 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Maggie--

You did not offend me at all! I was just shocked that there are librarians that don't read!

6:10 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Thanks for easing my mind, I hated thinking I offended you.

You know, I need to go undercover and just ask my peers their last book read. I have an ipod with microphone...

Do you go anywhere without a book? True readers know an opportunity to read can occur at anytime, so they normally carry a paperback. This is an easy way to tell if one is a reader. I might start w/ the obvious clues first.

Thanks again!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Only rarely do I travel without a book, and when I do, I almost always regret it!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Jennie, I have found a sister reader! I also read EVERYTHING under the sun. I have just begun writing and love the idea of reviewing EVERYTHING you read. I may have to do that too. Working a library would be like a dream come true for me. I may start volunteering when/if I find free time. I have an enormous amount of books in my house with a husband that does NOT read. He is becoming very annoyed.

You are funny, and fun to read. I like your style and will keep reading your blog! Check out my blogs sometime... Thanks!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Thanks Amy! Luckily, my husband does read, but at a sane and normal level, unlike his psychotic wife. ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home